What is Swedish massage?
This is one of the most well-known massage therapy types. When many people talk about massage, they take it to be synonymous with Swedish massage. One outstanding feature of this massage technique is that it focuses on the whole body. The big picture of the technique involves massaging muscles in long strokes as the therapist’s hands slide towards the heart. The strokes are in the same direction of blood returning to the heart. Many other types of massage are based on the Swedish type.
Under the main Swedish massage therapy are subtypes that can be used to meet the specific needs of the client. Instead of just making massage moves in the direction of circulation to the heart, other strokes can include:
• Applying circular pressure by hands and palms
• Kneading firmly
Benefits of Swedish massage
Massage generally has many benefits. Swedish massage achieves these benefits that include:
• A reduction in the stress hormone cortisol. Another hormone that supports the production of cortisol called arginine vasopressin is also reduced.
• An increase in feel good hormones – serotonin, endorphins and dopamine.
• Studies have also indicated that an increase in lymphocytes after a session of Swedish massage occurs. These are components of white blood cells that play an important role in the immune system. (The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2010; 16(10):1–10.)
• Better circulation
• Improved lymph drainage
• Improved muscle tone and joint versatility. This helps in posture related problems and reduces incidences of injury due to poor muscle coordination and strength.
• Swedish massage is one of the safest massage techniques in pregnancy.
Swedish massage is safe for many clients. However, those suffering from any health condition should talk to their primary health care giver before going through the procedure. It is also important to disclose any health issue to your Swedish massage therapist BOOK NOW