Pregnancy is a happy as well as an anxious moment for many old and new mothers. Those who know the benefits of massage may be worried about whether they should continue with it or not when they get pregnant. When done by a trained and experienced therapist, pregnancy massage is a safe and useful procedure. There are many symptoms associated with pregnancy right from the first months to delivery and immediate post-delivery period. Most of these symptoms do not reflect any particular health problem but rather, they are incidental symptoms due to hormonal, physiological and anatomical body changes necessitated by the pregnancy. Some of these symptoms can be reduced by massage.
How pregnancy massage can help
Generally, pregnancy massage will support an overall feeling of wellness. It will specifically help to reduce many stress symptoms common in pregnancy. This include:
- Muscle tension and stiffness
- Painful joints
- Feet edema reduction through improved circulation
- Improved lymph drainage
- Neck stiffness
- Leg cramps
- Sciatic nerve pain
- Better sleep quality
- Promote a positive mental attitude and lowers risk of anxiety and depression disorders.
- Stimulation of the skin helps to release the ¨LOVE HORMONE¨ helps to progress labour, expel the placenta after birth and promote feelings of attachment and bonding between mother and boy.
- Massage also helps to release prolactin wich prepares the body for breastfeeding by stimulating milk production.
It is also believed that mothers who have to get regular prenatal massage have better labor experience and baby health outcomes.
Is pregnancy massage safe?
The position to assume can be an issue, especially in advanced pregnancy. However, a certified pregnancy massage therapist knows how to deal with women in all stages of pregnancy. Such a therapist has more knowledge in the matter than a general therapist. Different massage techniques may be applied depending on the condition of the mother and stage of the pregnancy.
Mothers with bad maternal and obstetrics history are advised to speak with their health caregiver before starting pregnancy massage.
This massage makes a great gift for that special mommy to be in your life. Give her the gift of relaxation and comfort as she prepares to welcome a little one into the world.