Foot reflexology is the application of pressure on the feet by a trained therapist. A reflexologist is a person trained in this therapy technique. The belief behind foot reflexology is that different parts of the foot correspond to specific parts of the body and applying pressure on these parts promotes health in the corresponding organ or body system.
It is for this reason that foot reflexology has been used for general wellbeing as well as an adjunct to other health management measures in the treatment of conditions such as:
- Mental issues like depression and anxiety
- Respiratory problems such as asthma
- Hormonal imbalances
- Chronic pains
- Heart disorders
- Metabolic problems such as diabetes
- Menstrual-related conditions
- Kidney and other urinary problems.
Studies have indicated that reflexology has positive effects in some of these conditions.
A reflexologist understands what is referred to as reflexology foot map. These therapists know that when they massage this or that area on the foot, the beneficial effect will be felt in a particular part of the body. For example, the followings are parts of the foot and their corresponding parts of the body.
- All toes correspond with the head and neck.
- The area between the toes and the ball of the feet corresponds with the spine
- The chest is represented by the dark-colored area of the ball of the feet.
- The waist corresponds with the narrowest area of the feet.
- The sole of the feet generally corresponds with the pelvic area.
The above is a basic and general reflexology foot map. A trained reflexologist knows minute details of the parts of the foot that correspond with specific areas and systems of the body such as the teeth, liver, spleen, the sciatic nerve and others. Let your body be transformed with our advanced reflexology massage.